Monday, May 18, 2009

Oh No!

Hello everybody!

We just got back from a week studying Geology (the Middle Swedish End Moraines in particular) with former Gustavus Professor Mark Johnsson and his group of geology students from a university in Göteborg. It was actually a whole lot more fun than I originally thought it would be (because, as some of us like to think, Geology seems to be the study of looking at rocks) and we got to see some really unique sites, enjoy some great views, and better understand what was going on around here during the last period of glaciation. I have some great pictures from the trip, but alas, a very sad thing has happened:

My computer is in a coma.

It's broken like this two times before, and both times required intensive factory reconstruction. Now that I'm in Sweden, that is going to be a lot harder to get for my computer. There's a good chance I will not be uploading any more pictures during my time here, nor will I have any kind of reliable access to anything with a keyboard until I leave for the US.

But all is not lost. The trip is coming to a close for many of us here, and over half the group departs for the US on Wednesday. It's been a life-changing experience for all of us, and I think it will be nice to pry myself away from a computer screen so I have time to read, write, and reflect about the time I've spent abroad.

I travel to Denmark this week to stay with my very generous family in Roskilde, and look forward to exploring the land of my ancestors (well, half of them). I plan on spending those weeks finding out more about my family history, as well as the history and culture of Denmark, and maybe find a beach some time in there. I meet my family in Stockholm June 8th, and from there we plan on seeing places in both Sweden and Denmark. I really look forward to it. June 19th I plan on setting foot on American soil once again, and thereafter getting Chipotle, and reutiting with spicy food, fried food, and grilled food.

Hopefully I will have at least one more post with pictures, but no guarentees. My best wishes to all of you as we enter summer. It's probably warmer and sunnier where you are now than were I am (today the high is 42F and it's going to rain. Except for one day a few weeks back, we have yet to go over 65F), so enjoy it for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment